The surroundings was lovely with a shiny solar shining because it set within the first interval.
Everything went darkish from there for the Flyers of their NHL Outdoors at Lake Tahoe sport Sunday.
The Flyers surrendered one other hat trick to David Pastrnak and yielded 4 second-period targets en path to an unpleasant 7-3 loss to the Bruins in Stateline, Nevada.
Taking the outside with out six vital gamers, the chances had been stacked towards the Flyers earlier than puck drop. They wanted Carter Hart to be close to lights out. Instead, the 22-year-old goalie was out of the sport by the third interval.
The Flyers (8-4-3) are 0-3-2 towards Boston this season and 8-1-1 towards everybody else.
The Bruins (11-3-2) have outscored the Flyers 23-12 within the 5 matchups. The Flyers see Boston three extra occasions.
• Hart appeared the other of himself. He had actual issue monitoring pucks and stopping seeing-eye pictures. He often makes so a lot of these saves.
Outdoor video games are usually most difficult for netminders. Who is aware of if the weather received the very best of him. There had been audio points with Hart’s mic postgame. He fielded a pair of questions however his solutions had been inaudible. Not his fault.
Audio points with Carter Hart in his postgame interview. He ended up having to go. I do not blame him. Looks fairly chilly there and for 2 questions his mic did not work. pic.twitter.com/m1eZKCOZb2— Jordan Hall (@JHallNBCS) February 22, 2021
The Flyers had not been in a position to take a look at out the ice and sight strains this weekend previous to warmups.
Regardless, Hart struggled mightily and the sport received away from the Flyers in spiraling trend. Boston owned the second interval with targets from Pastrnak, Trent Frederic, Charlie Coyle and Nick Ritchie. The Bruins outshot the Flyers 15-3 within the center body. For the sport total, Boston goalie Tuukka Rask needed to make solely 16 saves, 11 of which got here within the first interval.
It was a 2-2 sport at first intermission after which it wasn’t a sport by second intermission.
Twice the Bruins have put up six targets on Hart this season. That will not be a standard incidence in Hart’s profession, however the younger goalie has been inconsistent up to now. He has additionally confronted a ton of pictures.
The Flyers had been undermanned, they weren’t excellent towards one of many NHL’s high golf equipment and Hart was not good in any respect. It was only a recipe for catastrophe.
Brian Elliott stopped 11 of 12 pictures within the third interval.
• In the primary 4 matchups between the Flyers and Bruins, Boston had dominated the third interval. The closing 20 minutes had been the largest distinction within the Bruins going an ideal 4-0-0 towards the Flyers. They had outscored the Flyers 11-5 within the closing stanza. In three of their 4 victories, they erased a third-period deficit.
The Flyers had really surrendered solely 4 targets to Boston over the primary two durations mixed in these 4 matchups.
Boston flipped that development at Lake Tahoe by flipping the sport the other way up on the Flyers through the second interval. If the Flyers’ Lake Tahoe journey wasn’t already soured a bit by the crew not having six gamers and going by means of a bunch of changes Saturday, the Bruins soured it fully with 4 targets within the center body. They had six targets over the primary two durations.
“To inform you the reality, clearly these are vital gamers, however we had a very good crew tonight and we confirmed it within the first interval, performed extraordinarily good and exhausting,” Flyers head coach Alain Vigneault stated. “A few shifts received away from us in that second, however our guys battled and competed. And on the finish of the day, as a coach, a training workers and a company, you need your guys to exit and compete. We’d prefer to have a few these shifts again within the second however they received away from us somewhat bit there.”
The Flyers had a 2-1 lead at one level and their first interval was strong. They had been outshot 27-8 the remainder of the best way.
• The Flyers held Pastrnak to at least one purpose in 4 video games final season, together with the round-robin contest.
Pastrnak has dominated them this season with eight factors (six targets, two assists) in three matchups.
There’s no denying the Flyers’ shot and purpose prevention issues are regarding 15 video games into the season. Those areas had been staples for Vigneault’s membership final season.
• With issues over the ice floor due to excessive solar, the NHL modified the beginning time of the sport twice earlier than Sunday. The puck was dropped at 4:59 PT with a evident sundown. While aesthetically pleasing for the viewer, it needed to be difficult for the gamers.
“I assumed the toughest half was most likely within the first with all of the solar and being blinded by the solar at some locations — it was type of harmful generally,” Sean Couturier stated. “It was the identical factor for each groups. In the second and the third, I believe the atmosphere, the enjoying subject was higher for each groups. They had been higher than us; we’ve received to offer them credit score.”
That’s a quote the NHL ought to take into account when planning future out of doors video games.
More: The sights from Flyers’ NHL Outdoors at Lake Tahoe sport
• One constructive for the Flyers was James van Riemsdyk saved buzzing offensively. He had a three-point evening (one purpose, two assists) and has 21 factors by means of 15 video games.
Couturier (one purpose, one help) and Kevin Hayes (two assists) additionally had multi-point video games, whereas Joel Farabee matched his purpose complete from final season by netting his eighth marker.
The Flyers employed 11 forwards and 7 defensemen, with blueliner Mark Friedman getting into the lineup and enjoying some proper winger.
• Claude Giroux, Jakub Voracek, Travis Konecny, Oskar Lindblom, Scott Laughton and Justin Braun remained on the NHL’s COVID protocol record Sunday evening. All six have missed the Flyers’ two video games again for the reason that membership’s NHL-mandated seven-day shutdown compelled by a number of instances of COVID-19 inside the crew.
Giroux missed consecutive video games for the primary time since Feb. 20-25, 2016, when he was out for 3 straight with an harm. Vigneault confirmed that Giroux had examined constructive for the coronavirus Feb. 9, which is when the captain and Braun had been positioned on the COVID protocol record. Voracek was added to the record Feb. 11, Lindblom and Laughton went on Feb. 12 and Konecny was the newest addition Feb. 14.
There are a variety of contributing elements for why a participant might be positioned on the COVID protocol record. A participant being out due to COVID protocol doesn’t essentially imply the participant examined constructive for the coronavirus.
Players who take a look at constructive cannot rejoin crew actions for at the very least 14 days from the preliminary constructive take a look at.
• The Flyers will fly house Monday, apply Tuesday and host the Rangers on Wednesday (7 p.m. ET/NBCSN).
Subscribe to and fee Flyers Talk
Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | Art19 | YouTube